Budgerigar care fact sheet
Males have a blue cere (area around nostrils) and females have a brown cere.
- Good quality, boxed, budgerigar seed mix
- Green vegetables
- Iodine block
- Shell grit
- Access to clean fresh water at all times
- Cage large enough to allow wing extension in all directions.
- Use a stainless steel or powder coated wire cage to prevent zinc toxicity from galvanized materials.
- Do NOT use plastic or wood smooth perches, use a natural wood/stick for perching as the uneven surface/variable diameter of the branch prevents lesions to the foot.
- Provide plenty of toys for enrichment; cuttlefish, wooden blocks or mirrors.
- Provide a bowl of water for bathing and to encourage preening.
- Birds need UV light, therefore if kept indoors provide a UV bulb.
- Avoid positioning the cage near central heating ducts, air fresheners or places with smoke.
- Ring on the leg; check is not placed too tight.
- Wing clipping is unnecessary; can cause delayed moulting, frayed feathers and encourages birds to chew their feathers.
- May need beak and claw trimming every 6mths.
- Treatment for mites; ivermectin based treatment. Treat annually. Product; Avitrol bird mite and lice spray.
- Treatment for worms; fenbendazole. Treat annually. Product; Avitrol plus bird wormer syrup.